100% Quebec Recipe
Churros: Cheddar & Maple Fondue
Although the origin of churros still raises debates, this sweet pastry was able to cross borders. Depending on the country of residence, churros are dressed differently. In Spain, they serve it during lunch with a bowl of hot chocolate, while in France it’s used as a dessert. In Quebec, either in the morning or at the end of meals, these thick fried spaghetti are always welcome at the table.
Our take on it combines the best of both worlds: local cheese and frying!
- Preparation: 40 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 12 churros
For churros :
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- ½ vanilla pod
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup of flour
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups of canola oil
For the fondue :
- 1/2 cup of whiskey liquor with maple syrup (Sortilège type)
- 1 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of 35% cooking cream
- 1 package of Fromagerie L'Ancêtre 3-year-old cheddar cheese, grated (200 g)
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
For churros :
- Mix sugar with cinnamon in a bowl.
- Scrape seeds of ½ vanilla pod, using a knife. Add to bowl and stir. Set aside.
- Bring water to the boil with butter and salt in saucepan.
- Add flour to saucepan and stir with wooden spoon until getting a dough ball. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes over low heat while stirring.
- Remove pan from heat, then add eggs one by one, stirring until obtaining a smooth dough.
- Heat canola oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan until it reaches a temperature of 190 ° C (375 ° F) on a food thermometer.
- Fill pastry bag with fluted sleeve of dough.
- Squeeze pastry bag on top of the fryer to remove dough, and cut in a few 10 cm (4 in) cylinders using scissors. Fry 2-3 minutes, returning churros halfway through cooking. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Roll churros in cinnamon mixture.
Pour la fondue
- Bring whiskey liqueur to a boil in another saucepan, then simmer until liquid has halved.
- Add maple syrup and cream to pan. Bring to a boil again.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir cornstarch into cold water, then add to pan while stirring. Simmer for 1 minute, stirring until thickened.
- Pour fondue in fondue pot. Serve with churros.