Northern-Style Mac and Cheese
During wintertime, there’s certainly a need for comfort, and it’s also true for food. Say hi to mac and cheese guys! It must be said, this family classic is the miracle cure for all winter blues. That’s because there’s nothing more comforting than macaroni swimming in a creamy cheese sauce.
Without altering this cult favourite dish, we’d like to add a northern touch by using Nordic organic milk from Nutrinor. For those of you who are asking “what’s that?,” we invite you to read Organic Nordic Milk, What is it All About?. But for now, let’s tackle today’s cooking.
- 1 cup of macaroni
- 6 slices of Boucherie Charcuterie Perron bacon
- 1 green onion
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of flour
- ½ tsp of ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp of dry mustard
- ¼ tsp of onion powder
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- 1 ½ cups of Nutrinor Nordic organic milk
- 3 cups of grated cheddar cheese, aged 2 years by the Fromagerie Perron
- Salt and pepper
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta according to the time indicated on the box. Strain and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 °F.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add the Nutrinor Nordic organic milk and bring to a boil while stirring with a whisk.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the grated Fromagerie Perron cheddar cheese (2 ½ cups). Mix well until melted and seamless mixture. Add the macaroni and mix until all of the pasta are coated. Season as needed.
- Spread the mixture in the baking dish. Add the rest of the cheese on top of the pasta, then bake in the oven for approximately 5 minutes in order to brown the top of the cheese.
- Add the bacon and green onions as a garnish.
A northern-style recipe isn’t enough? You’re in luck: Nutrinor has more in its bag of tricks. Visit www.laitnutrinor.com for even more culinary inspiration. And for bacon enthusiasts, visit www.boucheriecharcuterie.ca and www.fromagerieperron.com.