Cowboy Style Pasta Salad
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Quantity: 4 servings
- 500 mL (2 cups) farfalle pasta
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) sunflower oil
- 450 g (1 lb) medium-lean ground beef
- 1 small chopped red onion
- 10 mL (2 tsp.) chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 halves of diced bell peppers of varied colors
- 250 mL (1 cup) kernel corn
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) diced yellow cheddar cheese
- 12 halved cherry tomatoes
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 of a can (540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
For the dressing:
- 250 mL (1 cup) mayonnaise
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) Dijon mustard
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) chopped garlic
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) honey
- 2.5 mL (1/2 tsp.) chipotle
- 1/2 lemon (zest and juice)
In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta al dente. Drain. Cool under cold water and drain again.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook ground beef for 5 to 7 minutes, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink.
Add onion and garlic to pan. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a salad bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
Add ground beef mixture, bell peppers, corn, cheddar cheese, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, pasta and beans to salad bowl. Stir.