100% QUEBEC RECIPE
Mushroom Lentils and Sunflower Veggie Balls in Tomato Sauce
As part of the Eat Local Challenge, @Loounie got us delicious vegan recipes only using local foods. This is one our favourite one!
Veggie Balls Ingredients
2 tbsp of canola oil;
Approx. 7 g (or half a pack) of finely chopped Gourmet sauvage dried mushrooms;
1 onion, chopped;
1 garlic clove, chopped;
2 carrots, grated;
1 tsp of herb mix: Nador, Rosehill or Salty Herbs;
1 tsp of maple syrup;
1 tbsp of cider vinegar;
1 cane (540 ml) of brown lentils (Sélection brand at Metro), drained and rinsed;
½ cup of roasted and salted sunflower seeds;
½ cup of breadcrumbs (homemade or commercial);
Pepper or hot chilli, to taste.
Other Ingredients :
- 2 tbsp of canola oil;
- 1 jar (660 ml) Stefano basil tomato sauce;
- 1 pack (300 g) of greenhouse cherry tomatoes, cut in half;
- Fresh basil.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add oil, dried mushrooms, onion, garlic, grated carrots, dried basil and a pinch of salt. Cook 3-4 minutes, stir regularly.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add maple syrup, cider vinegar and lentils. Mix well, and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Transfer the contents from the pan into a large bowl. Using a blender stand, reduce to a coarse purée. Stir in roasted sunflower seeds and breadcrumbs. Mix again, until a coarse texture is obtained (the mixture does not need to be perfectly smooth, but must be easily handled for veggie balls to form).
- Put the oil in the nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the veggie balls without overloading the pan about 6-7 minutes, turn halfway through.
- Reheat the tomato sauce in a cauldron and add cherry tomato halves. Cook for at least 5 minutes, or until tomatoes soften. Serve the veggie balls with sauce and fresh basil.