Puff pastries with ham and cream cheese
Preparation : 1 hour Cooking time: 30 minutes Servings : 16
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 small leek, chopped, washed and drained
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 1/2 cups cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, grated, e. g. Gruyère
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Melt butter with oil in a sauté pan set over a medium heat.
- Add leek and a pinch of salt, sweating until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 16" x 16" x 0.125" thick rectangle.
- Spread with the cream cheese, stopping about 1" from the border along one side. Arrange the sweated leek, ham and cheese on top.
- Starting from the side with the 1" bare border, roll up the pastry into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the freezer for 1 hour.
- After chilling, preheat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) | 375F | gas 5. Cut the pastry log into 1" thick slices and place flat on baking sheets, spaced apart.
- Brush the tops of the pastries with the beaten egg wash. Bake for about 30 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through, until golden-brown and puffed.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheets before serving.