100 % quEbec recipe
Caesar salad with chicken
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
For the dressing:
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp Parmesan, freshly grated
- Citrus salt and pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 little Romaine lettuce heads, leaves separated
- 1 3/4 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cooked skinless chicken breasts, roughly torn
- Parmesan, for grated
- For the dressing: Mash together the garlic and 0.5 tsp salt in a small mixing bowl using a pestle.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and mustard until smooth.
- Whisk in oil, by the drop to begin with, and then in a slow, steady stream until thickened and emulsified.
- Whisk in grated Parmesan and season to taste with salt, pepper and more cider vinegar as needed. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- To assemble: Preheat broiler to hot. Arrange bacon on grilling tray and grill until golden-brown and crisp, turning once, about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Let cool before tearing or chopping into pieces.
- Arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, chicken and bacon in lunch boxes.
- Spoon over the dressing and grate over some fresh Parmesan before serving.
Tips: The dressing can be made 24 hours in advance before assembly.