Minestrone with pesto
Preparation time : 85 minutes Servings : 4
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup pancetta, finely diced
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups canned cannellini beans, drained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups string beans, trimmed and halved
- Salt & pepper
Use your favourite pesto.
- For the soup: Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven set over a medium heat until hot.
- Sweat the pancetta, onion, potatoes, garlic, carrot, celery, bay leaf and rosemary with a little salt for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, cannellini beans and broth, and cook until simmering.
- Once simmering, cook over a slightly reduced heat until the beans and vegetables are very tender, 30-40 minutes, stirring from time to time; stir in the macaroni after 25 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and rosemary, and stir in the peas and string beans. Gently simmer for a further 5 minutes until tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with your favourite pesto.