recipe - VÉRO MAGAZINE
Blueberries and maple buckwheat cake
Stone-ground black buckwheat flour by La Milanaise flour will give a rich and distinctive taste to your holiday cakes. You must try it with maple syrup!
Yields 8 servings
Recipe : Vanessa Trahan
Photo : Ariel Tarr
Stylist : Anne Gagné
INGREDIENTS - CAKE
- 625 ml or 300 g (2 1/2 cups) whole organic buckwheat flour La Milanaise
- 410 ml or 200 g (1 2/3 cup) icing sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 10 egg whites, at room temperature
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) cream of tartar
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) maple whiskey liqueur Coureur des bois
- 250 ml or 200 g (1 cup) granulated sugar
INGREDIENTS - BLUEBERRY GARNISH
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) of water
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) brown sugar
- 750 ml (3 cups) blueberries
INGREDIENTS - MAPLE ICING
- 1 cup (250 mL) maple syrup
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- Pinch of salt
PREPARATION - CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (350 ° F). Butter and flour 2 round cake pans of 9 in diameter.
- In a bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, icing sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer, whisk egg whites, cream of tartar and whisky liqueur until you get soft peaks .
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar to the mix and continue whisking until you get a firm meringue.
- With spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture with the meringue, to prevent the meringue from sinking.
- Spread the dough in the molds and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Unmould the cakes and let cool on a wire rack.
PREPARATION - GARNISH
- In a small saucepan, bring the water and brown sugar to a boil to form a syrup.
- Stir in the blueberries and let simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. Set aside.
PREPARATION - ICING
- In a bowl on a simmering water bath, mix all ingredients with a whisk or mixer until soft peaks form.
In between cake layers, layout some blueberries garnish and maple glaze, and after decorate cake with the leftover icing. If desired, decorate with fresh blueberries, walnuts or pecans.
* SOURCE : VÉRO Magazine